Self Care 101
A goal I made myself not quite 2 weeks ago was to do something every day that was self care orientated and Just for Me. Not my children, the dog, my business or the house – just for ME. Because I matter.
I think many women are so used to running around like nut jobs that they forget that they’re actually human and have the capability of eventually burning out and guess what… it ain’t pretty! Mental health awareness is huge everywhere nowadays and as a woman who has suffered a marriage of mostly emotional and mental abuse and having been brought up by a selfish and un-maternal mother: I know a little bit about emotional abuse.
My Self Care 101 Plan
Last week was my first full week of self care 101. I promised you a look into my life, showing you what I have been up to looking after myself and here it is, day by day from last week.
- Monday – I took the morning off and went to a friends for coffee and breakfast. I just switched off from my life and enjoyed an hour and a half of just chatting and not looking at my phone.
- Tuesday – The day before my surgery. I had a soak in the bath, listened to some calming music, then smothered my body in a detox butter with essential oils. Got wrapped up in bed and just read. No phones allowed, it was face down on my floor.
- Wednesday – After my surgery and when I was home, I just kicked back on the sofa and rested watching Netflix. By the evening I was pretty sore, so I had a little bath (not allowed to get my back wet) but on my comfiest PJ’s, socks on, essential oil roller on bottom of my feet, wrists, behind ears and back of neck and I sat reading in bed. I even put the fair lights on for a little ambience! I slept really well.
- Thursday – I simply ate well. I have been letting the food slide for a while and decided that wad the day I ate really well, especially seeing as I can’t work out till at least next week. So I ensured I out good nutritious food in my body and some extra water to hydrate me. Then in the evening I put my phone in the kitchen for a little while and watched an episode of something completely undisturbed. Unplanned, but felt good.
- Friday was a self care afternoon. I really enjoyed this one. I got out my Eve Taylor candle, the wax turns into essential oils once melted and you can use it on your skin. So I sat there after lunch in shorts and T Shirt, with coffee, my candle and Criminal Minds on (no phone around) and sat for an hour watching and rubbing essential oils into my skin. It felt wonderful. I may just have to do that again this weekend.
- Saturday I wasn’t quite as successful. I ordered a take away instead of cooking. Not something we do a lot of, but I decided I didn’t want to cook, so I’m using that as my self care moment.
- Sunday – Was supposed to be a soak in the bath seeing as my back was healing nicely, but my 8.5 year old daughter ruined that for me! That’s a whole other story. So in the end had a quick bath, got into bed and watched Pursuit of Happyness. Fantastic film!
So there it is, my week of self care last week wrapped into one blog post. I hope you can take something from it.